Jimpy Days

This is what is going on in my life. Sometimes I feel that people don't have any idea of what my day-to-day living is all about or what it entails. Hopefully these postings will help those wanting, gain a better perspective of what my lifestyle is.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

I live in Tempe Arizona, within the Valley of the Sun, and work at Arizona State University. I am the Associate Director of the Disability Resource Center where I have worked for over 24 years. I love my job but most of all I love my family and all the friends who support me.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pondering my mortality.

A California man was executed today. Strange thing is, it hardly made the news at all. Usually these events are high-profile in the news. A brief article online was all I saw and by midmorning the article was buried within the MSNBC web page, pretty much unnoticeable. Go figure! Did this individual's life have no worth?

Supposedly the individual was the oldest person ever to be executed. He was also blind, had diabetes, used a wheelchair for his mobility and had other health complications. I wonder if his physical conditions had any effect on the governors refusal to overturn the execution.

Ironically, also in today's news, the Supreme Court of the State of Oregon upheld a ruling legalizing physicians assisted suicide. A topic that brings about emotional debate, not only within our society in general but even more so within the disabled community.

These two incidences got me thinking about my own mortality and inevitable death. I always wonder how people will respond to the news of my death. Will they care? How many people will attend the services? Will they miss me? How long will I be remembered? Why I ponder these thoughts, I can't specifically explain.

Whenever my time comes, I hope those who care about me stay away from commenting on how I am no longer "confined to my chair." I've been to numerous funerals of individuals with severe disabilities or illnesses and such comments seem to be the common mantra. "They're free from their suffering," "free from their chair" or whatever. Gag me with a spoon!

To me such statements trivialize the true value of living a productive life regardless of having a severe disability or illness. Like my life was so terrible. Such a hardship. I am now "better off." Those types of comments are borderline insulting. Luckily I won't be around hear any of them.

All I know is that I do have strong feelings toward both of the issues that were briefly mentioned in the news today.

In regard to the execution in California, a person's life is the one thing no one has a right to mess with. By executing a convicted prisoner (who may have committed murder), we as a society are, in reality, killing someone, and thus no better than the individual executed. I couldn't live with myself if I were the person injecting the lethal drug, initiating the electrical current or responsible for whatever means of execution that is used.

As far as assisted suicide, if a person wants to die, that's their right. And if they are incapacitated to the extent that they may need some assistance, then it's best that the assistance be provided by a physician. Someone who can provide the service in the safest and most comfortable way.

I know there are many people that would probably disagree with my views, but so be it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,
I went on-line this morning because I too am pondering my mortality. My Mother died in April, last month, and her passing has caused me to feel a dread of everyday. I feel like some "impending doom" is just around the corner and if I don't stop to think through how I feel about death and dying, I may not be prepared for it. So many people say, "It happened to me this tornado and I've never been through this you know, it always happens to some other dude in Tenbucktoo". So here I am in this place where speaking in generations, I'm next!!!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good site! Good stuff, i found lots of intresting things here. Many thanks. Congratulations!
- jimpydays.blogspot.com w
spaghetti alla carbonara

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!I enjoyed looking around Your web-site!Keep up this great resourse!With the best regards!
Frank

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,

Good to hear from/about you!I was a student at ASU, graduated the spring of 89 ! I too am going through many of the same "growing old pains" as you are. I like your insights and found your blog site after looking at your striker frame pictures/photos -- I too spent many weeks on one in 1981.
I don't have a gmail account, so I'm going to see if this message will be posted before I go into any more detail...
Till Then -- ASU grad (and former employer of "Desert Dave" -- ring any bells?)
If I see this gets posted, I'll try to get you my e-mail address if you'd like to talk in relative private :-)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home