Jimpy Days

This is what is going on in my life. Sometimes I feel that people don't have any idea of what my day-to-day living is all about or what it entails. Hopefully these postings will help those wanting, gain a better perspective of what my lifestyle is.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

I live in Tempe Arizona, within the Valley of the Sun, and work at Arizona State University. I am the Associate Director of the Disability Resource Center where I have worked for over 24 years. I love my job but most of all I love my family and all the friends who support me.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Lets all share a common dream.

Arguably Martin Luther King Jr. best represents the concepts held true when it comes to equal rights. But MLK Day is not simply an issue of black-and-white. It's represents the all-encompassing statement that "all men are created equal."

Whether borne out of intention or ignorance, discrimination is discrimination and there's no place for it in today's society.

The celebration of equal rights expands far beyond the oppression of the African-American population. It represents the equality of women, those from all religious beliefs, people with disabilities and our gay/lesbian brothers and sisters. Sadly, the list goes on.

I never truly comprehended the meaning of discrimination until I became a member of a "minority" too often looked down upon. As an individual with a severe disability, I have always granted the benefit of a doubt to those whose behavior is different toward the disabled than it is toward the "normal" population, as originating out of naïveté, not out of a natural or intentional reaction. But the truth of the matter is, too often this unjust behavior has its foundation rooted in, not just a basic lack of understanding but the repulsive fabric of hatred.

How do we change these evil attitudes? I don't have the definitive answer, but celebrating days like today play a vital role in the long term fight to with our world of these repulsive behaviors.

I would hope that we all will ultimately share the vision of "I have a dream."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home