Jimpy Days

This is what is going on in my life. Sometimes I feel that people don't have any idea of what my day-to-day living is all about or what it entails. Hopefully these postings will help those wanting, gain a better perspective of what my lifestyle is.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

I live in Tempe Arizona, within the Valley of the Sun, and work at Arizona State University. I am the Associate Director of the Disability Resource Center where I have worked for over 24 years. I love my job but most of all I love my family and all the friends who support me.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Results of an execution?

A man was executed in California early this morning. 12:35 a.m. MST to be exact. He had spent 24 years on death row.

Now I'm not about to get into the politics or the morals of the death penalty. Nor am I going to reveal my own personal belief. But what I do want to talk a little about is death. Particularly my own.

I've come to realize that sooner or later, probably sooner; I will meet with my own demise. And I oftentimes wonder how I made it this long. But again, that's not the point I'm trying to get at.

After reading many well-written articles about the execution, specifically those referring to the people who protested the execution, I started thinking about how people would react upon hearing of my death. Particularly, what might be said in light of the fact that I have lived the great majority of my life with a severe disability?

Having been to the funerals of other individuals & friends who survived life with their own unique disability, I can just imagine what some well-intentioned people might say.

It was common at those funerals for people to comment that "they are free from their wheelchair now and are walking in heaven," or something to that effect. Man, gag me with a spoon!

I completely understand why people might say that. It makes them feel as though the person is now much better off. But, if you think about it, aren't those comments kind of insulting? It's almost like saying their life must've been so terrible because they had a disability. It focuses on their disability not who they were as a person or what they may have accomplished.

I guess its all part of the grieving process.

I just hope that at my funeral people focus more on the things that I did with my life. I don't want them saying that I am now "free" of those terrible physical restrictions; that I'm in heaven happily walking with my relatives who preceded me. I want them to talk about me as a person, my career, my accomplishments, not me as a person who is now free from his disability.

My disability didn't define me as a person on earth, why should the lack of it define me as a person in heaven.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home