Jimpy Days

This is what is going on in my life. Sometimes I feel that people don't have any idea of what my day-to-day living is all about or what it entails. Hopefully these postings will help those wanting, gain a better perspective of what my lifestyle is.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

I live in Tempe Arizona, within the Valley of the Sun, and work at Arizona State University. I am the Associate Director of the Disability Resource Center where I have worked for over 24 years. I love my job but most of all I love my family and all the friends who support me.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Finally!!!

It's been long overdue. At least three months. That's how long I've been trying to hire a new Personal Care Assistant (PCA) to assist with getting me up in the morning on Saturday and Sunday.

I've been fortunate that I have another PCA dedicated enough to work seven days a week, every morning, until I find some relief.

I feel terrible that I have had to take advantage of his generosity for so long but I didn't have any other option. Fortunately I believe that I have finally found the right person to cover these two mornings.

This scenario is a reflection of the sometimes difficult challenge I have finding quality help. Being a PCA isn't a job for just anyone. They have to have at least a basic understanding of the work, be dependable and trustworthy, and possess the qualities of paying attention to detail and listening to and following through with specific instructions.

Over the years I've become more and more selective regarding who I choose to hire. I have to. As I'm aging, I'm discovering that paying more detailed attention to my care is absolutely critical. My skin breaks down easier, I'm not as flexible as I used to be making transfers more difficult, and of course I need to make sure I get to work on time every day and that my appearance is appropriate.

Well, now that I have identified someone who I feel well meet the standards I've set, I need to train them and become used to their handling me in the very personal way that is required. That begins this weekend. There is a lot of personal contact involved not to mention the describing any suspicious markings on my body that could turn into full-blown sores; something that could lie me up in bed for days, even weeks. Building that trust doesn't come overnight and it is a process I find extremely stressful no matter how many times I've gone through it.

Regardless, I feel confident that the individual I have hired will do just fine, given time. When it comes to this adjustment, the learning curve never passes fast enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home