Jimpy Days

This is what is going on in my life. Sometimes I feel that people don't have any idea of what my day-to-day living is all about or what it entails. Hopefully these postings will help those wanting, gain a better perspective of what my lifestyle is.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

I live in Tempe Arizona, within the Valley of the Sun, and work at Arizona State University. I am the Associate Director of the Disability Resource Center where I have worked for over 24 years. I love my job but most of all I love my family and all the friends who support me.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Another day at work.

Final exams are a regular part most all Universities. Today was the first day of finals here at Arizona State University. It's interesting watching the students as they walked through the campus during this time of this semester. Some of them seem like they're in a daze, probably intensely focused on the exam they are about to take. Many of the students walk while reading notes, a last-minute cramming session so to speak.

Here at our office, the Disability Resource Center, life is pretty quiet, at least for me. It usually is during finals because students are busy studying. And with all of their coursework behind them there is really no need for them to stop by our office.

Even though it was a relatively mundane day for me today, I did have the privilege of joining the Vice President of Student Affairs for lunch. On occasion, throughout the academic year, the VP will invite five or six staff members to have lunch, supposedly to provide an opportunity to hear their concerns, answer their questions, and engage in a dialogue about what is happening at the University and where we are headed.

During lunch I couldn't help but realize that even though I was sitting across from such a high administrator, and never once felt intimidated. She portrayed herself as genuinely interested in our thoughts and listened intently as we expressed our concerns. I think she had just as many questions for us as we have for her. She is obviously very good at what she does.

As we were leaving the building she took me aside and commented on how good I looked, obviously referring to the many health challenges I had recently endured. I was impressed with her kind words and even more so with the fact that she even knew what had happened. I came away from the event with a different view of this individual. She was a person, just like me in many ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home