Jimpy Days

This is what is going on in my life. Sometimes I feel that people don't have any idea of what my day-to-day living is all about or what it entails. Hopefully these postings will help those wanting, gain a better perspective of what my lifestyle is.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

I live in Tempe Arizona, within the Valley of the Sun, and work at Arizona State University. I am the Associate Director of the Disability Resource Center where I have worked for over 24 years. I love my job but most of all I love my family and all the friends who support me.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Training, Urrrg!

Well, we got through the weekend and I think the majority of the training is over. That is, the training of the new PCA I just hired. Actually, he's been coming over for the last three weeks, but only observing. Training is a process where at first you just observe, then slowly begin assisting more and more.

I hate the training period. Normally the process usually takes just a little over an hour but slows down to a crawl during the training process. What regularly takes just over an hour can require over two hours.

Mistakes are made and the trainee seems to fumble with every little thing. Although I feel I'm a patient individual, the training process sure is a test for me. I wake up in the morning and immediately become a teacher, explaining to and guiding the "student" through a process they've never experienced.

I realize that the only way someone is going to learn the routine is to actually do it. You learn from your mistakes as long as you have someone to explain the exact "how's and whys." I have to constantly reinforce those things that are done correctly and patiently explain that mistakes will be made, but that's okay. With time, things will continue to get better and go more smoothly.

Transferring me from my bed to my chair is by far the most difficult part of the entire routine to learn. It requires me to be placed in my chair precisely because that's how I'll be sitting all day. Sitting the little too far to the right or left can be very uncomfortable for me and could cause abnormal pressure on my skin.

Then, once in my chair I'm very particular about my clothes being straight and neat. The first few transfers usually result in my not being positioned anywhere near perfect and my clothes are usually twisted somewhat. Things that we just need to work through together.

I'm always relieved when the routine is over when training. It's extremely challenging having to explain every little detail. Pull this around more. That needs to be a little higher. Don't worry; you're not going to hurt me. And I understand it's as frustrating for the person being trained as it is for me; probably more so because they've never been exposed to it before.

But we got through the weekend and I'm confident that my new employee will do just fine given time. However, the next few weeks will still be challenging.

Fortunately he's willing to learn and understands that he'll be making mistakes along the way. He understands that he'll learn best by doing and perhaps making a few mistakes.

Mainly though, I like him as a person. He genuinely wants to do things right. That's an extremely important factor overall.

How good will he eventually become? Only time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home